“Rosalita’s” Trout Tacos – Beer Battered with Spicy Horseradish Coleslaw
- Oil for frying
- 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup of beer
- ½ teaspoon of hot sauce
- 4 trout filets, about 6oz each
- 2 tablespoons of seasoning mix, recipe to follow
- 6 large soft flour tortillas
- Spicy Horseradish Coleslaw, recipe follows
- Hot Sauce if desired for serving
- 2 ½ tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of thyme
Spicy Horseradish Coleslaw
- 2 ½ cups of shredded green cabbage
- 2 ½ cups of shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons of finely sliced green onions
- 1 ½ cups of peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
- 2 jalapenos, stem and seeds removed, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar 2 tablespoons plus 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish or 1 ½ tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 ½ teaspoons creole mustard or other course-grain mustard
Heat oil in a deep fryer or in a large saucepan to 375 degrees F
Sift 1 cup of the flour, the baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper together into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add the oil, beer and hot sauce. Stir until thoroughly incorporated and smooth. Season each trout fillet with 1 teaspoon of the seasoning mix. Cut each fillet into diagonal 1 ½ inch strips. Combine the remaining ½ cup flour with the remaining 2 teaspoons of seasoning mix. Dredge the fish strips in the seasoning flour then shake to release and excess flour. Transfer to a plate.
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Wrap the flour tortillas in aluminum foil and place in the oven to warm.
Dredge each piece of fish in the beer batter, making sure the fish is completely coated. Allow any excess batter to drip into the bowl, then slowly lower the fish into the hot oil. Repeat with the remaining fish, working in batches if necessary. Fry the fish until it is puffed , golden brown and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the fish with a slotted spoon or tongs and drain on a paper-lined plate. Place the fish in a warm oven, while you cook the remaining fish, until you are ready to assemble the tacos.
Combine the green and red cabbage, carrots and green onion in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl toss the cucumber with the lemon juice and add to the cabbage mixture. In a small mixing bowl combine the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the seasoned vinegar mixture over the cabbage mixture and toss to thoroughly combine. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes.
In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish and mustard and stir to combine, Add the mayonnaise mixture to the coleslaw and toss to thoroughly combine, Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight before serving.
Divide the fish strips between the warmed flour tortillas and top with some of the Spicy Horseradish Coleslaw. Drizzle with hot sauce if desired and serve immediately.